Vougiouka Korina was born in 1976 in Kavala, Greece. In 2000 she graduated from the Cologne Music Academy (Hochschuele fuer Musik Koeln-class H.Käppel), taking the diploma ‘Kuenstlerische Instrumental Ausbildung’ with mark excellent, having scholarship from the Greek Scholarships Foundation. In 2002 she graduated from the Music Academy of Basel (class Oscar Ghiglia), taking her postgraduate diploma ‘Konzert Reifediplom’, having scholarship from the Onassis Scholarships Organization. In October 2015 she has taken PhD at the Ionian University on early 19th century vocal related guitar repertoire.
She won four first prizes in national Greek guitar competitions. Additionally, she was honoured with the following international prizes:
– First prize in the International Guitar Competition in Volos Guitar Festival (1992)
– The Prize of the ‘Yamaha Music Foundation of Europe’ in Germany (1998).
– Second prize in the 2nd Guitar Competition in Re – France (1999).
– First prize in the competition for flute, guitar and singing in Koblenz – Germany(2000).
– Second prize in the 28th International Guitar Competition in Gargnano – Italy (2002).
– Third prize in the 1st Dundee Guitar Competition – Scotland (2004).
She has performed solo as well as chamber music recitals in Greece, France, Austria, Great Britain, Turkey, Italy, Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary, Libya, Belgium, Poland, and California. She has also performed as a soloist with orchestras from Greece (including the National Orchestras of Athens and Thessalonica as well as the Kamerata Orchestra of Megaron, National Television and Radio Symphony Orchestra), Spain (National Orchestra of Malaga, conductor Phil. Entremont), Germany, Bulgaria and Hungary.
She has recorded the cd ‘laceworks’ (label:64mm) with vocal works by Rossini, Bellini and Schubert transcribed for guitar (some of them first world recording).
She has also recorded for the Greek National Radio and Television, as well as for the soundtrack of the movie ‘Labyrinth’ (music by Trevor Jones).
She was artistic director of ‘Papaioannou festival’ in Kavala the years 2007, 2008, 2015 and 2016. She is artistic director and organizer of the Summer Guitar Academy ‘Arion’ which takes place in Molyvos/Lesbos.
She teaches the guitar at the Music Department of the Ionian University.